Dozens of neighborhoods and enclaves make up the Maitland community. Geographically located in the Central East of Central Florida, and in the Metro Orlando area’s Northeast section. Maitland is bordered to the north by Altamonte Springs, to the south by Winter Park, east by Casselberry and west by Lockhart. It is home to the video game development company Electronic Arts (makers of Madden NFL, NCAA Football and other popular video games) and is known for its Museum of Art and History.
Maitland’s main roads include I-4 that runs north-south through the community’s western portion, Orlando Avenue that runs north-south through the community’s eastern portion, and Maitland Blvd (SR 414) that runs east-west through Maitland. floridaneighborhoodrealty.com – Maitland
The city of Maitland (population 18,500) is one of the most attractive communities in Central Florida, with a mix of:
- An active community in art and history
- A growing downtown center and a top trade center in the area
- Picturesque, tree-filled parks
Maitland, one of Central Florida’s oldest incorporated municipalities, is a town rich in history. The area was once called the Seminole Indians Fumecheliga (Musk Mellon Place) before the U.S. established it as Fort Maitland in 1838. The military. The fort was named after a hero of the Seminole Wars, Captain William Seton Maitland, who, oddly, was never in this area, actually killed in a battle near Tampa.
The only way to get to Central Florida at that time was by boat to Fort Mellon (Sanford) from Jacksonville down the St. Johns River, then by horse or foot. Fort Maitland was a small fort constructed as a rest stop between Fort Mellon and Fort Gatlin on the west shore of Lake Maitland (Orlando).
Maitland Avenue was part of the Old Black Bear Trail that ran to St. Petersburg, Florida, from Montreal, Canada, and passed by the fort. Because of the natural spring water and extensive pine forests, people started settling in this area when the Indian wars ceased and the fort was torn down. Settlers arrived at the end of the Civil War, buying large tracts of land, clearing them, and planting citrus groves.
In 1873, the city’s first property deed was written to George H. Packwood, who built a large hall for city meetings and social gatherings. Since it burned down, Packwood Hall has been located where City Hall is now. Built between Park Lake and Lake Catherine, there was a large hotel, Park House, which became the winter resort for iconic people of the time, including two presidents, Grover Cleveland and Chester Arthur.
By 1876, the orange trees had entered production and Dr. Haskell, of the Boston Herald newspaper, had difficulty marketing the fruit to form a syndicate and build a railroad from Jacksonville to Maitland. This was completed in 1880 for Maitland and for several years,
Maitland had an ice factory, two livery stables, and a large packing house in the center of town, in addition to the citrus groves. It was necessary to ship as many as 300,000 boxes of fruit each season. In 1885, the town was incorporated as the Town of Lake Maitland. Many of the grove owners were so financially affected after two years of devastating, tree-killing freezes in 1894 and 1895 that they left Florida. However the town survived, and wealthy visitors continued to come to enjoy the climate. By 1926, Maitland had had its biggest citrus year.
The Space Age had the nation’s eyes on Central Florida in the 1950s. The Martin Marietta Corporation moved from Baltimore to Orlando, as we know it today. Families in contingents of two or three hundred at a time were moved down. Maitland became a natural way for them to come, because of its proximity to the plant. A new town charter changed the name of Lake Maitland to Maitland in 1959.
The City’s Growth
In the 1960s, building construction came to life on Maitland Avenue and Orlando Avenue (U.S. Highway 17-92). Supermarkets have opened, as well as:
- Garden apartments
- Service stations
Even though the nation was in a recession, the arrival of Disney World in the Orlando region in 1971 had a strong impact on Maitland’s continuous growth. New buildings, including those on the site of the new City Hall, Fire and Police Departments, were sorely needed and many older buildings were demolished. In 1975, this complex was completed.
During the 1970s, the city’s growth continued to spiral. Five branch banking establishments moved to Maitland between 1972 and 1979 and twelve new residential subdivisions were developed. 226 acres of land was acquired by an Atlanta, Georgia company in the late 1970s and developed into Maitland Center west of Interstate 4. Maitland Center is within and continues to grow within the city limits.
While development continues, city residents are proud of the past of the city and actively pursue the preservation of historic residences. A “historical corridor” has been set up. In the area of Lake Lily-Lake Catherine and extending through the central portion of the city, this corridor includes old residences still standing and occupied. These homes are examples of:
- The Robert L. Wagner House (1881)
- The Arthur O’Heir House (1885)
- The James Arch House (1885)
- Chadburne Hall or High Oaks (1890)
- The Hill-Stone House (1908)
In addition, in Maitland, the Florida Audubon Society was founded and continues to protect wild birds on Lake Sybelia. Maitland City has a history of strong residential identity, sustained by the beauty of the region and the region’s diverse economy. This history continues today and this tradition will be maintained and advanced well into the future by the City. itsmymaitland.com – Maitland