Bob Carr Theater
Orlando’s population doubled between 1910 and 1920, and the town was transformed from a rural citrus growing area to a major town. A major building boom helped Orlando’s continued prosperity during the 1920s, as evidenced by the opening of the Orlando Public Library in 1923 and the Municipal Auditorium in 1926.
The Municipal Auditorium, at 400 West Livingston St. in Orlando, was built on land originally owned by Orange County and reserved for the annual Orange County Fair and other events for approximately $175,000. As the city grew and was purchased by the city, the land, located a few blocks from the heart of downtown Orlando, became too valuable for that use. 3 On February 21, 1927, the brand new venue presented its first event, the opera Aida, performed by Philadelphia’s La Scala Grand Opera Company.
The Municipal Auditorium also hosted stage productions, organ recitals, church meetings and, to the dismay of local competitors, it also served as a movie house during the first years after its opening. As Orlando grew during the 1950s and 1960s, the “Muni Aud” incorporated more diverse events, as the residents called it, and in 1950, the Florida Symphony began playing its subscription series at the venue. scottymoore.net – Bob Carr Theater